This is an open letter to Mark Zuckerberg.
Mark I want you to know that I have empathy for you. You may go stand before Congress. You are the face of Facebook. Even though you may not have complete control. You have more power than we do. You have more power than you know. You can do the right the thing. And if you need some advice here’s where you can start.
- Give us our likes back. If we like a Facebook page we want to see what they post without them having to pay for it. By giving our likes back you give us our power back. A power that should have never been taken away.
- Reset the algorithm. Right now we are in a Mercury is Retrograde. Do you know what that means? It means that things need a reboot, reset, readjust. Reset the algorithm back to it was when we first started having Facebook pages. Back before Facebook went public.
- Take off the safety. I’m an entrepreneur. I work in social media marketing. I know that there are protocols in place with the coding that helps keep the timelines and newsfeed balanced. The only way the public can appreciate what you’ve tried to do is to see the chaos that you’ve protected them from. Let them see. Maybe we will surprise you.
- Remember your why. Way back when you were in college and bright eyed and ambitious your why wasn’t just money. Imagine now if money wasn’t involved. What would you want Facebook to achieve? How would you do it?
- Have courage. Facebook was a bridge, is a bridge that has launched one of the largest startup economies in the history of creation. Thank you. Don’t give up. We need Facebook and Facebook needs you. You can fix this mess. Make it right.
If by some small chance this reaches your eyes and you can consider these words. I hope you know they come from a place of sincerity. My thoughts are with you as you face this back lash and I hope you’ll do the right thing and can find integrity with yourself, your company, and with your users.